|06 March 2015||
Clean The Carpets Effectively
A carpeted room is warm and comfortable and really lovely to have in the home. Keeping the carpets clean is an important way to keep your house clean and should be a regular part of your domestic cleaning chores. To get the best out of your carpet cleaning, use the following steps to clean your carpets more effectively.
1. Vacuum carpets at least once a week, especially in high traffic areas. This removes dust and dirt that can build up and damage the carpet fibres if left for too long.
2. Clean spots and spills immediately when they occur on your carpet. The longer you let a spill sit, the more likely it will become an ingrained stain and will be harder to remove. Use an effective cleaning solution and apply it to the spill or stain. Use a damp cloth or paper towel and remove the stain using a blotting action. Do not rub or scrub the stain otherwise you will cause it to spread and get even bigger. Blotting will prevent this from occurring.
3. Deep clean the carpet using a carpet shampoo. After you have shampooed, vacuum the foam. It is also a good idea to hire a professional cleaner to deep clean your carpets annually so that the job is done thoroughly.
Some top methods for stain removal in your carpets include:
- Acid stains: use 1 part ammonia and 10 parts water to create a solution and apply to the stain. Rinse it with cold water and vacuum over the space.
- Alcohol stains: dilute the spill with cold water and then absorb excess moisture with baking soda. Use a solution of 1 teaspoon vinegar and 1 quart warm water to the carpet and let it dry. Then vacuum the affected area.
- Chewing gum: press an ice cube against the gum and harden it. Once it is hard, it can be pulled off and shouldn’t leave a stain on the carpet.
- Mud: allow the mud to dry and harden, and then use a brush to scrape up as much as you can. Create a mixture using 1 teaspoon white vinegar and 1 quart warm water and apply this to the spot stain. Once it is dry, vacuum the solution and this will remove any traces of the stain.
- Vomit: when this unfortunate spill occurs, you should blot up as much as possible and then dilute it using baking soda sprinkled over the area. Then apply a solution of 1 part ammonia and 10 parts water, rinse this clean with cold water and once dried, vacuum it up.
A few simple recipes for a homemade carpet cleaner are:
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 cup of dried herbs, such as rosemary or lavender depending on what scent you prefer
- 1 cup baking soda
- A few drops of potpourri oil
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1 cup corn starch
- 10 to 15 drops of your favourite essential oil, such as peppermint or lavender
For all of these separate recipes, combine these ingredients and sprinkle them over your carpet. Leave them to sit for around 10 to 15 minutes and then vacuum. This recipe will freshen up your carpet and deodorise after it has been cleaned. The mixture can be kept in a jar and used over a long time frame.